Friday, November 2, 2007

All Hallows Eve





I am a preteen trapped in a 30 year old's body. S. and I still have that 10 year-old mind-set that the one with the most candy wins. It's quite funny, because I can honestly say our kids haven't had one ounce of their trick or treating candy since All Hallows Eve (I have only had some of our leftovers). But the sheer joy of getting free candy makes my heart palpitate and my blood-sugar level rise. I think the baby in my belly even did a little dance as we walked around the neighborhoods.

The kids had a great time getting the treats, but not appreciating the few tricks they experienced. We went around our neighborhood for a little while and then headed to Gma and Gpa Mud's house for some hearty soup, homemade rolls and Hocus Pocus (well, the kids didn't watch it, they just went trick or treating some more). One of the Mud's neighbors dresses up every Halloween like someone who died that year and acts like them. It is always entertaining. Last year he was the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin (moment of silence) and this year it was Robert Goulet. The man even sang us "If Ever I Would Leave You." Boo didn't want any candy from him afterwards--I don't know if it was his white zombie face or his singing.

At least next year the baby will let me pick out his/her costume! So much for me deciding what my kids are going to be. Apparently the kids had a theme this year--red. Boo is Gabriella from High School Musical (but she is nothing like the actress in real life--scandal), and Little Man is of course his favorite character, Elmo. He talked for weeks about how he was going to be Elmo.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh! That's what Boo is! When you mentioned what she was going to be...maybe in a comment on my blog? I was confused, had no idea what that meant. Sadly, I still have not seen High School Musical! Sorry. I know everyone loves it! I saw a few minutes on TV and didn't get into it...how could it compare to Grease...except for it turns out good not bad right? I too get excited about the free candy...but if you guys aren't eating it...what do you do with it? Have they seriously not asked to have some? My dentist grandpa in law suggests letting the kids eat as much as they want int the first few days, then trashing the rest...so that the sugar is only there for a few days, not weeks on end. SOmeone else suggested letting them eat all they wanted and if they puked....no worries, they wouldn't even have all the calories from it. So far we ration a few each day...but don't know what my long term strategy will be.

Vanessa said...

Gracie was looking at your blog with me and you don't know how jealous she was that your daughter got to be gabriella! She wanted to know if you dressed up as gabriella's mom....
and i'm curious too about how you guys haven't eaten any of the candy yet!?

Tracie said...

Sigh. I am so mean. For some reason (tee hee), I cannot find Maddie's candy anywhere!

Tennille said...

I believe in savoring every last bit of candy (for myself, not for the children). They get little bits every now and then, and we feast on the rest. A would rather throw it all out, but I'd never hear of it.