Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ugly Phase




Last week in Seminary I taught about when the Israelites wanted a king in 1 Samuel because "everyone else was doing it." As an introduction to it we discussed fads and fashions over the past twenty years or so. I talked about things that were cool when I was in elementary-high school: peg jeans, SIKE, LYLAS, and big glasses. I let down my pride and showed some HIDEOUS pictures of myself. When I told S. my lesson plan the night before I told him I needed some pictures of him, but then I remembered...he didn't have an ugly stage. How is that fair? How could I have married someone who went through such an easy adolescent period where even girls 5+ years older than him thought he was so attractive (I'm talking he was 12, and they were 17). So, just know that while the rest of the world (or maybe just me) was struggling with big bangs, pegged jeans, huge glasses, and terrible clothes, there was S, just looking cute.

In honor of his recent birthday, I will show you some pictures from his youth. But seriously, I couldn't find a single embarrassing one. What child of the 80s doesn't have an ugly stage? And is it just me or do kids not even go through an ugly stage these days?

Happy Birthday, Funny Man. Thanks for working so hard, making me laugh, playing with the kids, and being so dang handsome.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday S! So who's the 17 year old scamming on a 12 year old?

Carrie said...

Oh yea...do we get to see those awkward stage pics of you anytime soon...or do we have to wait until your next birthday? That's too far away:) Common!!! I did it! It's so funny...plus, you seriously had a super short - if any "awkward" stage. You pulled out quickly...good for you:)

Tammi said...

Oh, Jules! I'm sure there was no such thing as an "ugly stage" in your past--ugly fads don't count--ugly stage is suppose to be disproportioned features, awkward limbs, zits, etc. Come on, admit it, that never happened to you...so your kids will have a good chance of NEVER having one either!

Tammi said...

Happy Birthday Sam!

S. said...

Happy birthday to Sam--some guys have all the luck. The entire eighties and early nineties were a big long ugly period for me. Maybe I should have told my mom to stop buying my clothes.

BTW, Julie, we saw your sister in sacrament meeting this morning when Lacey and Eric were blessing Tyler. I asked Eric just to be sure, but the family resemblance was definitely there.

Anonymous said...

I just blamed the ugly stage on my mom! When I turned 18, I practically buried the perm rods in the backyard! Haha! Well, Happy Birthday S.M. You haven't aged a bit, apparently. Take care!

Unknown said...

It's that oh so charming smile of his!!!! Happy birthday Sam!!!!